Thursday, November 5, 2009

The dreams gone by...

Why didn't I have the confidence for Musical theatre when I still had the youth for it? My daughter is getting ready to audition for the all school musical which just happens to be "The Sound of Music" (insert big sigh of enjoyment here). This is my all time favorite. As a young girl I wanted to be Maria or Julie Andrews whichever, they were interchangeable to me. As a singer, this music is in the perfect range for me, at the time I thought I wanted to be a teacher, so the kids were an added bonus, dancing around singing was my favorite activity and who doesn't want to fall in love with the rich, handsome and some what aloof Captain?

So, now when I could possibly muster up the actual confidence to try out for a musical, alas my youth has passed me by. My voice still might be able to sing these favorites of my youth but I'm sure the wrinkles, creaky knees, arthritic fingers, and added 30 pounds will prevent me from ever capturing this particular dream. So I'm hoping to get to realise it through my daughter. I don't usually force my dreams on her but you may spot me in the back of the audition in my best stage mother voice reminiscent of Rosalind Russell in Gypsy "Sing out, Louise...do it for Momma!"

And now pardon me as I warm up my voice and get my hairbrush out to sing my best version of "My Favorite Things"

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.........



P.S. If you are following "What the heck is this?" we went with a knife holder as the use for this particular item. Watch for more "What the heck is this?" int he coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment