Sunday, November 15, 2009

In a New York Minute

It seemed like a regular Saturday. Even more regular than the last couple because I didn't have to work. We got up and started thinking about the day. Jim and I were fussing about what to do about a Christmas tree. I was griping because I slept (or didn't sleep) wrong and my neck was hurting. I was watching reruns of Gilmore Girls and Jenna was just crawling out of bed.

The phone rings----the caller ID reads someone from our Sunday School class---I'm sure it's just a reminder about the Chili Cook-Off that we were not planning to attend---then I hear from Jim "Oh No!!" and everything changes.....

A friend of ours has fallen from his roof and has a head injury, they have taken him to the head trauma hospital....

Moments like these always bring the lyrics of Don Henley's New York Minute to mind. I know... not too spiritual uh? But it always reminds me how quickly things can change.

Since that phone call I have witnessed the body of Christ to what it should do. They have rallied beyond what is normal. I have witnessed the wonder of technology in how facebook has brought this tragic news to people all over the country in a matter of moments. I have witnessed a Sunday School class without direction but with determination to pray and lift up a family and take a love offering when no one knew what else to do. I have witnessed a school community (a public school at that) arrange a prayer vigil in a moment''s notice to pray for this teacher/coach and his family. I've watched my husband remembering all the time he spent with this man while they were in grad school. Then I saw him volunteer to finish out the man's teaching session at SNU without compensation. The call of God's people is never as evident as when there is a need in a tragic situation.

The situation for this family is dire and we are reminding ourselves that we serve a God of miracles...but know that we live in a world of cruel reality. Please say a prayer for this family as you think of it, the road ahead of them is one of uncertainty no matter what the outcome.

3 comments:

  1. ditto on stef's comment. how wonderful that jim stepped in to teach his class. *tears*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stephanie ... you put it into words beautifully.

    ReplyDelete