Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"...and now we return you to your regularly scheduled programming."

After all the hoopla of yesterday we return to the reality of everything being the same as it was the day before yesterday. I love that we live in a civilized nation that can have a change of power in a dignified, ceremonial, and non-violent manner, it shows a great deal of reserve and humanity on every one's part to embrace those who've been there in the past, those who are leaving, and those that are just arriving. What a great day in our Country's history in so many ways.

When I was in Jr. High and High school I collected Precious Moments (who didn't?). You know, now that I think about it I didn't so much collect them as I had them collected for me. That seems to be true of most of the things I have collected through the years. Anyway, that is so not where I was headed.

I had a PM poster hanging on my bedroom door for all the world (okay my family and a few friends) to see. It read "If white is good and black is bad, then all my friends are grey and plaid." It had great little PM figurines that were just that, grey and plaid. I thought of that poster yesterday and I wished that was really true, I really wish we were able to see one another in ways that all of our preconceived perceptions were faded to grey and plaid. That's what I hope for our nation today as we begin a new journey.

Keep your mind open today. Remember that all of us had things in our paths that molded us into what we've become and are becoming. See me as grey and plaid, and proceed with caution and compassion.

This picture has nothing to do with my post other than it is my house and behind all my wonderful friends you can notice the many "collections" my family has accumulated. There is a sampling of PEZ, Disney and Coca Cola.

No comments:

Post a Comment