Friday, January 16, 2009

National "Do Nothing" Day

My wonderful daughter, Jenna, informed me this morning that it is "National Do Nothing Day." We know this pertinent information via Steve, Stacy, and The Magic Man (104.1 FM). I'm sure this is why she was able to take her music device (ie. Zune, ipod, walkman) to school today for the mere donation of $1.00 which I'm sure goes to some worthy cause. But that's a soapbox for another day.

So on "Do Nothing Day" are we supposed to really do NOTHING? Is that even possible? Maybe we're supposed to nothing of signifcance, maybe this a day in the universe where you shouldn't make any life changing decisions, you shouldn't vary your normal plans, you shouldn't change your hair color, you shouldn't give up Coca Cola when your body depends on it for substance.

Or maybe... we really should do nothing. Maybe we should be still and be more aware of our surroundings and our blessings. It reminds me of a very old song I used to sing.

Be still and know that I am God
I am right here by your side.
Be still and know that I am God
and in My love abide.

So few of you stop to hear the birds
stop to smell the fragrance in the air.
My Kingdom is within you, (this is my favorite line)
Be still and find me there
Be still and I'll meet you there.

So Happy "National Do Nothing Day" to all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment