Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thoughts that my soul needed today

By Gail Rodgers

It was a time in my life when I was somewhat isolated. I was off work for a time and not encountering the regular contacts that I once had enjoyed daily. I was feeling a bit down. "Probably the weather," I reasoned, and joy seemed in short supply in my heart. A few doubts about my own walk with God were playing at the edge of my mind. Then a friend came over one afternoon. An uneventful visit on the deck in the spring sunshine. But as we talked about our God and how He works in our lives, and as we prayed together, my heart was refreshed. I was reminded how very much we need each other.
Isolation comes at various times in our lives. Sometimes after the birth of a baby, sometimes with a move, with being off work, or sometimes after the death of someone we love or even a relationship change. When these things happen in our lives we can often find an unexpected hardness creeping in at the edges of our heart as we struggle with the change.
Whatever the reason for the subtle heart changes we feel, we need to be aware that God has instructions for us in these times of life.
"Beware then of your own hearts, dear brothers, lest you find that they too are evil and unbelieving and are leading you away from the living God. Encourage each other about these things every day …so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness" (Hebrews 4: 12 & 13).
Find someone to encourage you in God's ways regularly. Keep your heart soft. Get comfortable with praying over the phone with a Christian friend. Seek out encouragement and find those who need the encouragement you can give.
Encouragement in the things of God helps keep the ground of your heart tilled up. It helps you guard against unbelief and that subtle deceitfulness that leads us away from the Living God.
Seek out encouragement in God's ways today….both to give and to receive! It is essential and oh so refreshing!

No comments:

Post a Comment